Am I eligible?

You may hear people being referred to as an unpaid carer.  Or a family carer.  This means caring is not your occupation but something you do as a spouse, partner, parent, sibling or even as a friend, neighbour or young carer.  You don't have to be related to someone to be called a carer.  We support all kinds of caring families.  You are eligible for support if this sounds like you.  If you are unsure, just give us a call on 1800 052 222.

You support someone in a range of ways

Unlike parenting where a child will become independent, unpaid carers look after someone who needs assistance to keep living at home. 

Attending appointments, transport, cooking, organising medication, shopping and personal care are all activities a carer may undertake.  In some cases, this is a fulltime job.  With help, some carers also work, study and care for other people too.

You live in Melbourne's south or south-east

We support carers living in the ten local government areas of Port Phillip, Stonnington, Glen Eira, Bayside, Kingston, Greater Dandenong, Casey, Cardinia, Frankston and Mornington Peninsula.

Respite Sth Postcard Magnet HiRes 

You need some practical or emotional help

Here are some examples of caring situations where we assist:

  • When someone has memory loss and needs help at home.  You may be worried about leaving them.  You may have questions about the future for them.
  • Your child has a disability and you need some extra support, particularly with home help or activities.
  • A person is diagnosed with a mental illness that is likely to continue and things feel out of control.
  • Mum or dad has an illness such as MS, mental illness or chronic condition or a sibling has a disability and as a young person, you need some assistance to take a break or study.
  • You care for a person with a terminal illness and need some short term support for palliative care.

We may also become involved where people are coping less well and need some extra support.

You are of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander heritage

When you call, we may ask if you are of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander heritage. This assists us in our planning and provision of services to ensure your needs are met and so you receive access to the appropriate services.

English is not your first language

We can organise interpreters to speak with you by phone or face-to-face.  We try to ensure language or culture is not a barrier to accessing our service.  Read and print information sheets in other languages.

What should you do now?

Just give us a call on 1800 052 222.