Make a referral
Alfred Health Carer Services assists with short-term support to carers of all ages. Services include emotional support, respite brokerage, planning for the future, carer education and links to other services and supports. AHCS is unable to offer ongoing or regular assistance.
If you need to refer to our Commonwealth Home Support Program, please do so via My Aged Care.
Our assessment is based on each carer’s current and immediate need for support.
Brokered respite support to carers will be based on a carer assessment and will vary depending on service demand, other services involved and changes to our funding guidelines. Staff may also need to ask for details about the nature and extent of your involvement with the family.
Please be advised Carer Services staff will need to speak to all carers identified on these forms.
There may be a wait for some programs.
Eligibility (all criteria must be met)
- The carer providing the support lives in the southern metro region of Melbourne
- The carer’s role must be ongoing or likely to be ongoing for at least 6 months
(with the exception of palliative care)
- The carer provides unpaid, regular and sustained care to a dependant family member or friend
- The carer consents to this referral
- The person lives in the community (not in a facility) and requires ongoing assistance (e.g. personal care) as a result of a disability, mental illness, dementia or age.
Carer Services is unable to assist with funding respite if the care recipient has an NDIS Plan Approved. However, we may be able to assist with information, referral and emotional support to the carer in these instances.
Additional information required
Please include any relevant information that will assist in prioritising the request. Including:
- Preferred respite dates, times and details for respite requests
- My Aged Care (MAC) Support Plan
- Current assessment plans (Behaviour Support Plan, Medical Care Plans)
- OT Assessment and support letter for equipment requests
Please fax application form to 9076 6139. Please call us on 1800 052 222 with queries or for additional information.