Aboriginal Access and Support Program
Our service is committed to supporting the needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander carers, families and community of people who are experiencing memory loss.
Our Aboriginal Access and Support Program takes into account the unique needs of the community – particularly where the person with memory loss may be younger or have more than one carer.
We work collaboratively with local service providers and Elders to be mindful of cultural needs.
Some of the things we do involve:
- Working with culturally safe services
- Educating our own staff on supporting families with different cultural needs
- Assisting before, during and after a diagnosis of dementia
- Organising and advising on help at home
- Providing information on the behaviours associated with memory loss
- Providing advice on availability of services including what they can do and any costs involved
- Hosting an annual Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander retreat to share information and give carers a break.
We will soon have a new Aboriginal Access and Support Program brochure and for now please call us on 1800 052 222 for more information.